Friday, April 18, 2014

Review: Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier

Ruby Red book review by The Wayback List
Title: Ruby Red (The Ruby Red Trilogy #1)
Author: Kerstin Gier
Rating: *****
ISBN: 978-0-312-55151-3
Publisher: Square Fish (An imprint of MacMillan)
Genre: Young Adult - Fiction - Fantasy - Time Travel - Romance
Source: Library



Summary: From Goodreads: "Gwyneth Shepherd's sophisticated, beautiful cousin Charlotte has been prepared her entire life for traveling through time. But unexpectedly, it is Gwyneth, who in the middle of class takes a sudden spin to a different era!

Gwyneth must not unearth the mystery of why her mother would lie about her birth date to ward off suspicious about her ability, brush up on her history, and work with Gideon - the time traveler from a similarly gifted family that passes the gene through its male line, and whose presence becomes, in time, less insufferable and more essential. Together, Gwyneth and Gideon journey through time to discover who, in the 18th century and in contemporary London, they can trust."



Thoughts: I loved this book. I had a few qualms, which I will address in a moment, but overall the story was incredibly fast paced and engaging. Gwyneth makes a wonderful heroine. You sympathize with her and want to be her at the same time. Though, maybe minus the creepy counts and secretive societies.

I did have trouble, rather like Gwyneth, with keeping track of how much time had passed between each event. And I felt like Gideon became less repulsive a little too fast. Those were my two qualms with the book, I prefer relationships to develop a little more realistically.

I think Kerstin Gier did a great job of making you go through a lot of the emotions and questions that Gwyneth was going through. Loving and loathing characters as she learned to love and loath them. Her world was completely believable and I just wanted to keep being drawn deeper and deeper in to it.

Gier created a magnificent and believable history for her secret society. I really did believe that this society could exist and that the records they were speaking of were complete. That was key to my enjoyment of the book. If there had been loop holes or inconsistencies, then I would have tired of it very quickly. However, since the history behind the group seemed so tangible, it was easy to slip in and believe that Gwyneth really was thrust in to something over her head.

I also loved that, though the book was a translation, the translator did such an amazing job at translating it, I never once thought about the fact that it was a translation until I was sitting down to write this review. Rushing to get my hands on the next one now!




Favorite Quote(s):
- I was terribly excited when I climbed into the hopped petticoat. "This feels just like carrying a birdcage around with me."

- "That was incredibly reckless and...dreadfully dangerous and..." He swallowed hard and stared at me. "And, dammit all, rather brave of you."




What are some other time travel books you like?

- Faye

No comments:

Post a Comment